In our previous post we looked at how categorising your races can help in planning your race season. Before you can start planning backwards from your target race you need to decide which one to enter. The number of races available to choose from nowadays is huge so it can be hard to decide. Here are a few things to consider before pressing that ‘enter’ button.
We are happy to announce that we are now a partner of Precision Hydration , giving all of our athletes a 15% discount from all of their hydration products and accessories!
Here's why tailoring your hydration to your own unique needs and the event you're training for is so important...
• Everyone loses a different amount of sodium in their sweat, from as little as 200mg per litre of sweat to as much as 2,000mg/l!. This is largely genetically determined. So, a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to hydration just doesn’t work.
• Maintaining the sodium levels in your blood is crucial to performing at your best, especially in hot conditions.
• Sodium helps you absorb and retain fluid, which keeps your blood volume up, reducing cardiovascular strain, fatigue and cramp.
• Most sports drinks and electrolyte supplements only contain 200-550mg of sodium per litre, but the average athlete loses about 950mg/l! So, you could be replacing less than half of the sodium you're losing in your sweat with your current supplement.
• Just drinking water when sweating over long periods dilutes your sodium levels, which can really impact your performance and could lead to hyponatremia.
Stay hydrated folks!